Monday, September 13, 2010

Steam Hijack

I just got back from work (about an hour ago actually I've been working on account information, my next subject).

I was playing a game linked to my Steam account and after quitting, I had a notification on my windows screen, saying that my account was currently logged in elsewhere and I needed to re-enter my account information to log back in.

Well, considering my title, I'm sure you can imagine what popped up once I did this. It didn't work. Thankfully Steam has a support center just for this sort of thing with different login information just in case you've been hacked. While I was in my hotmail account I noticed that there were already opened emails of email that I never opened myself... and by this point I've already gone... well crap.

Anyhoo the opened emails were Steam notifications detailing that the requested password and username changes that "I" requested were successful... again... well crap. By this point Ive been completely locked out of my account and some other hacker is enjoying my precious computer games "shakes fist" and I'm spending hour after hour trying to figure out how to login to Steam support to fix things, if even possible.

Well as it turns out, there is an entire section of information detailing how to reclaim "hijacked Steam accounts". I emailed Steam support as it is so conveniently called and practically flipped a biscuit. In email form, mind you.

Thankfully, however, I received an email in my gmail account thanks to the dude/ette that replied to my email promptly. They explained that there was "evidence that I 'may' have been hacked." and they completely shut down the account. They even so generously detailed how to re-open the thing with new login information! How nice of them.

Fortunately, everything was a success and was fixed without a hitch, because I have no desire to flip yet another biscuit, this is a good thing. Apparently the douche that hacked me got my Steam info because it was the same douche that had hacked my hotmail account not that long ago, and by default there's a setting that auto copies/ saves/ stores ALL sent emails on the account, which just so happened to contain Steam login information WEE thanks HotMail! My steam name was changed to GiftFreeGames! and the avatar was removed by said douche, but other than that everything is good it seems.

Thanks to the minor tidbit biscuit-flipping scenario, I've borked my HotMail account and have fully adopted gMail. Becuase it is exudes awesomesauce.

Incredibly large chunks worth even.

-James

1 comments:

Becca said...

Told you gmail is awesome. :P Send me an email on it and I'll add you on gmail chat. FUN TIMES WE SHALL HAVE. Maybe.

Post a Comment